Thread: 24.04 - Raspberry Pi 5 with RP 7 Inch Screen Will Not Turn Off Screen When Blanking

Beans

24.04 - Raspberry Pi 5 with RP 7 Inch Screen Will Not Turn Off Screen When Blanking

I have a Raspberry Pi 5 with the Raspberry Pi 7 inch touchscreen. When I turn on screen blanking with Ubuntu 24.04 and it blanks, the screen changes but the screen does not turn off. Basically, the screen starts fading, but then turns a light gray and does not turn off the power. The same is true when I power off the device. The devices shuts down, but the screen does not turn off and just has the gray screen.

What the gray screen looks like: https://i.sstatic.net/4hKmIetL.png

I have a separate microSD card with Raspbian bookworm on it and when I boot the device with that microSD card, everything works as expected. The blank screen is completely turned off and when I power off the device, the screen also turns off.

Do you have any suggestions for how to turn off the screen on Ubuntu 24.04? I'm a fairly new Linux Ubuntu user so I could be wrong, but this seems unique to Ubuntu and the Raspberry Pi 5 and Raspberry Pi 7 inch screen.

I have tried:

• xset dpms force off -> and also different forms of this to turn off the screen, but I get different errors.
    • xrandr --output DSI-1 --off -> DSI-1 is returned from --listmonitors and that too outputs some error about invalid parameter.
    • adding hdmi_blanking=1 to the boot config.txt -> It didn't help.

Also, I noted that the screen can be turned off remotely via SSH before or after the screen blanks by setting the brightness value to 0 in /sys/class/backlight/6-0045/brightness. However, when I wake the system by moving the mouse or hitting the keyboard, the screen does not come back on.

Finally, I asked this same question at https://askubuntu.com/questions/1512...een-when-blank, but didn't get any responses so am asking it again here.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: 24.04 - Raspberry Pi 5 with RP 7 Inch Screen Will Not Turn Off Screen When Blanki

Thread moved to General Help.
    Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 24.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.